Art With An Altitude
March 19, 2018
It’s kite-flying time, and what better way to share in the fun with your family than by joining us for KITE FEST this Saturday, March 24 at Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge – it will be a day of fun for your whole family!
Join us in the festival space adjacent to our main parking lot for these FREE ACTIVITIES:
- Bring your own kite or kids can make their own with the experts from KaleidoKites of Eureka Springs
- Get beautiful face art painted by Julie’s Face & Body Art!
- Visit the Girl Scout Diamonds booth and DIY faux stained-glass style kite for a window cling keepsake!
- Watch Wyatt Beck the Magician perform illusions and unveil his “Flea Circus” act!
- Sign up for our raffle for a chance to win a 6’ kite from KaleidoKites of Eureka Springs!
While you are here:
- Enjoy delicious bar-b-que at the Catered Creations stand and top it off with luscious desserts like key lime pie and cheesecake served State Fair-style on a stick from J & K Mobile food.
- Wash it down with a beverage from our Refuge stand; all proceeds go to the animals!
- Enjoy live music from Art Deco Band Trio from 12-3. Tuba, trombone, and banjo bring 1900’s vaudeville, blues and jazz melodies to life while musicians interact with the audience for a unique entertainment experience!
- And don’t forget the real reason we’re here: Remember, we are a true sanctuary offering refuge to the abandoned, abused, and neglected victims of the exotic pet trade. While we can’t give them the freedom they deserve, we can give them respect, love and the best care possible for the rest of their lives. All proceeds from our tours and gift shop merchandise go to the care, housing, and advocacy for these magnificent animals.
- Take advantage of our FREE educational program offered with our guided tours, learn about the animals here, and how easily you can advocate for them! This Saturday we will be featuring the following educational talks during our guided tours:
Join us for our daily educational programming at the refuge
- Keeper Talk – 10:40 am
- Animal Senses – 11:10 am
- Enrichment fun – 12:40 pm
- Top of the Food Chain – 1:10 pm
- Keeper Talk – 2:40 pm
- If You Give a Tiger a Toy – 3:10 pm
- Wild Child Scavenger Hunt – 4:30 pm
We will also have professional kite fliers on-hand to give demonstrations – – recent years have featured fighting kites and kites made of foil which can be flown in rainy conditions – and learn how to maneuver professional kites like a pro! Learn about the art of Bonsai and treat yourself to a purchase from The Bonsai Guy or visit the HempWorx stand to learn about the health/wellness benefits of 100% legal CBD oil, purchase their products and sign up for a giveaway prize!
Standard admission applies to touring the Refuge:
FREE – Toddlers (3 years and younger)
$10 – Children (4-12 years); Seniors (65+ years); Military (active/veteran)
$15 – Teenagers (13-19 years)
$20 – Adults (20-64 years)
Thank you to media partners 3W Magazine, the Official Kids Mag of Northwest Arkansas and the Eureka Springs, Arkansas City Advertising and Promotion Commission for promoting one of the best kite festivals in Arkansas, and the only one in the world held at a big cat sanctuary! Big cats and kites! It doesn’t get any better than that! #TCWRKiteFest #TCWR #EurekaSprings
Blog Written By Stewardship Intern Sandra Ames