A common question that many pet parents ask is, “can my pet eat this?”
Listed below is a brief overview of foods that are toxic for both cats and dogs. We’ve also gathered a few common toxic household plants and symptoms of poisoning in your pet. Both the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty of Animals) and the American Kennel Club dive deeper into the physical effects these foods and plants may have on your pets if ingested.
So, make sure you’re mindful of where your groceries are stored, what scrapes may fall on the floor while you’re cooking and where your potted plants are placed!
Toxic Foods and Beverages:
- Coffee – Caffeine
- Citrus fruits
- Grapes – Raisins
- Nuts – Primarily Almonds and Macadamia Nuts
- Salt – In large portions
- Xylitol (in many sugar-free products)
- Ice Cream – Large amounts of sugar
- Yeast dough – Large amounts of bread
There are many indoor plants that, if ingested or contacted, can be very toxic to your fur babies. Place your plants up high or in out-of-reach locations to prevent contact with your pet.
Toxic Indoor Plants:
- Jade plant
- Philodendrons such as Snake Plant / Pothos
- Sago palm
- Emerald fern
If your pet has ingested something toxic, it’s recommended to remove the toxic substance, identify the substance and immediately contact your local veterinarian. If you’re unsure how to identify if your pet is suffering from poisoning, below is a brief description of symptoms that may occur.
Signs and Symptoms of Poisoning:
- Avoiding food
- Difficulty breathing
- Excessive drooling
- Mouth or skin irritation
- Increased heart rate
- Lack of coordination
Sources: ASPCA, AKC, VCA Animal Hospitals